(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Monday, March 18, 2013

Anatomy of a Fun Costumed Photoshoot

Yesterday, I was asked to do a small photoshoot for the Stargate costumers (I really can't get used to the term cosplay). It was great to work with people, who have worked so hard to get their costume looking so 'realistic' (if you can call it realistic as it is based on a television show). 


We shot the pictures outside on a bright sunny day. The best thing to do, in this situation, is to seek out some shade, to reduce the harsh lighting which creates hard edged shadows. We were at the showgrounds, for the convention, so we found shade near the buildings, then on the grass area which was in the mottled shade of the nearby trees. Fortunately, it was the latter half  of the afternoon, so the sun was not directly overhead so the trees were casting long shadows. 


Shooting outside can still have its issues. It was more important, in this case, that the subjects were exposed and leave the background to be overexposed, as it was difficult to control. A fill in flash would have worked great for individual or smaller groups but did not really cut the mustard for the depth of the picture here. The back subjects were too far away, in this case. If I had a full on lighting set up, this would have provided more lighting and a fill in flash. In this case, not being an official convention photographer, anything but a single on/off camera slave flash was a possibility. Tip: work with what you have to make the best image at the time!  Being a Stargate shoot, the blown out background washes out the mundane backgrounds and gives a more 'otherworldly, sun or sand blasted feel'. The most important thing is produce images that the 'client' is happy with (while indulging my artistic muse)

Though hardly ever with perfect lighting conditions or equipment, nor controllable surroundings, I really enjoy outdoor or impromptu photo shoots and candid portrait shots. There is the challenge of finding the most appropriate surroundings (without too much cluttering up the background), combined with the optimum (not always achieved) lighting conditions to give the most flattering lighting for the subjects. Often the background has to be manipulated, either with creative blur (minimizing depth of field), or overexposing the background on purpose. Many textbooks may discourage this, but my philosophy is that photography is about art and the subject. Exposure is, to a certain extent, a matter of personal preference and sometimes can be overexposed, sacrificing it for the benefit of the subject.  

On the subject of background: I was constantly moving bags and covering up pots (for the planters below) to removed unwanted items in the background. Always keep a lookout for items (or passersby) in the background. In this image, I had to wait for the dear little old lady with the walker to pass by (walking between the subjects and the plant pots) so there were not extra legs or a head growing out of a shoulder or arm! Patience, patience (remember to explain the delay to the subjects) Even then, you can't always move the rubbish bins.. but hopefully they were less noticeable!

Finally, what really makes a photo shoot, is when the subject(s) trust the photographer. I do know what we are doing. I have a vision. I have done this before.  But this vision is usually tempered with consultation, in a structured photo shoot. I asked the group what sort of pictures they wanted; communication is crucial - especially if you are not the one initiating the shoot. They left most of it up to me but did request we have some images shot the grass area. This group were wonderful to work with! I wish all my subjects were like them! Though they had ideas, they were willing to be positioned, re-positioned and instructed. 

As a photographer, I am expected to have imaginative, flattering (and hopefully not too run of the mill) ideas. My biggest tip: listen to the subjects (but with a photographer's eye. You do not have to do all of their ideas but be diplomatic about it.). Some will have an idea that I had not seen; 'Daniel' saw the phone booth and decided to dial home as the DHD was not working... Being quick to seize an opportunity can give some unexpected and fun pictures. No time to fiddle with the technicalities - just shoot. Usually, a candid shot cannot be recreated. Asking to 'redo it', will rarely give the same expression or naturalness.. One way of capturing this 'naturalness' is to set up the pic, take the formal one, then get ready to shoot quickly as they relax afterwards. Sometimes I call out random instructions. In this case, it was "Incoming!" this worked well as the group were into their characters ... loved the reactions!

I had a great time doing this shoot. The group had their own ideas, were willing to listen to my ideas and were patient when I had to set up the technical stuff... 
Together we created some fun images. That is how it works: teamwork between myself and the subjects...

Be excellent to each other...

4 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    The background is something that often gets me, especially when shooting someone in a historical costume. It is hard to get a good background at a con sometimes, so I think you did a great job.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I still find later that there are little things that creep in... what sort of camera do you have? if you have an SLR you could try a larger aperture to blur out the background and mushy it up so it is not as noticeable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant more when other people take photos of people in costume.. :) - I think I'm quite concious of it, so I try take a critical eye at the background, or, as you suggest, take a shot with a more blurred background.

      Delete
  3. thanks. was not sure about that. yes, I agree... I am getting my hubby to learn more about photography now and he is finally (actually) interested! At least some pics are better than none. Not everyone has an eye for it but at least they are willing to take pics for us. :)

    ReplyDelete