(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

First month successfully completed.

Diaries and blogs have always had the benefit of the "I have said it, therefore I have to deliver" factor. This has definately been true with writing this blog over the past 32 days - over 2000 words, just on the blog. It has made me practice, practice, practice. I think it has helped with my writing; I have written a new character for my current story. It has given me a new idea for another, unrelated story and prompted me to read more about writing techniques.

One disadvantage is that I have to stare at a blank page, every day, and try to find something to write about; something that will be interesting, creative and not repetitive. But, with this daily practice, I am finding it easier to write 300-800 words on a subject. Slowly, I am finding that any subject that has surfaced during the day, could become fodder for my writing. I am gaining a routine of starting to write the night before, review my scribblings the next morning, with a fresh eye to mistakes, editing or ideas. Sometimes I find myself writing a completely different post, leaving the previous one to the 'in case I need it later' pile. 

Regular practice has helped to boost confidence in my writing (and most of all, in letting others read my writing!) I mustn't be too boring, as my regular daily reading numbers have doubled, during the month. I even have some followers! *waves*  

My drawing has also benefited. Writing about my  thought processes and plans have helped my ideas to coalesce, giving birth to new themes, such as the Octopus/Kraken series (now 4 in number and with the fifth almost finished). It led me to fossiking through my old files and finding some old D&D artwork, thus re-fuelling an old passion. Another series was born - the Roleplayer chararcter series (now up to #2, not including the 'creatures'.  I have also had the gumption to start learning to do some work on the computer. 


My old art mojo is back. The pencil is behaving and the ink flowing. I made the decision to concentrate on original work and not base my work solely on the fandom, television or movie genre, mainly to avoid any un-intentional copyright issues and there are already plenty others going down that road. So, though I would love dearly to go down the Doctor Who/Star Wars/Star Trek etc path, I decided I wanted to 'be my own girl' as it were. 

Finally, my photography has also benefited. I have a small gallery of photos at a shop - Bullina China Shop, at North Park. I see photo opportunities almost everywhere I go. I am getting 'my eye' back in. I have done more photo shoots and  been asked to do two different shoots, giving me more experience with location work.. I have found I now have a passion for location work and prefer it over studio work. I have gained confidence in using only available lighting without apologising for being different; I have often been told that studio lighting is the 'thing to do'. 

Overall, starting this blog has been beneficial to ensuring I practice my writing, photography and art regularly. It has made me think about the processes of my work and critique myself. Most importantly, it has improved my confidence in allowing others to view my work (which is the scariest of all!)  Lastly, dear Reader, I hope you have enjoyed the ride and will continue to follow my journey with me. Feel free to share my blog, my links, invite others to join. Please take a look at my works on Redbubble. Follow my work if you like it. 

Thank you for sticking around and reading!

2 comments:

  1. the writers that i love read almost all say they have to write everyday, and it's the discipline of doing that that helps. And it's easier to edit something (even if it's not great work) than it is to fill an empty page.

    I'm glad you're getting back the artistic eye

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a recommendation I got very early on and is a very, very useful one. Good for training the brain. I just had another idea for a full story today. Have been brainstorming it... now just to nail ONE down to finish and file the others away for later! I think it is more an improved confidence thing, as well.

    ReplyDelete