(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lest we Forget

One thing that is guaranteed to bring me to tears, no matter where I am or what I am doing, are two songs made famous by Redgum - And the Band played Waltzing Mathila and I was only 19. (As does The Last Post.) As a general rule I try to avoid movies and television shows that relate stories from the World Wars or Vietnam war but these catch you out, when you least expect it. Occasionally they will play on the radio or in the shopping centres. People stare at me as  I blubber like a baby. 

Over the years, I have come to realise that I don't care if they stare as I am glad these songs make me cry. Why? Think of the other option - that I don't cry. I don't want to be hardened to the death of others particularly if such people died to defend me and my country. Don't get me wrong. I am definitely not a fan of war.  War is a stupid waste of lives and resources. 


(from And the Band played Waltzing Mathila by Redgum)
How well I remember that terrible day
the blood stained the sand and the water
And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay
We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter

On this Anzac Day, remember those who fought and died for our country, who protected our lives and the lifestyle we now enjoy. I may not agree with war but I can still respect those who fought and / or died. Remember the horror and the uselessness of war. 

Today, I remember them. Never forget the horrors of what has gone before... and in remembering maybe we can learn from our past pain and learn to accept those who are different and live in peace. 

They shall grow not old, as that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
(from Ode of Remembrance by Laurence Binyon)

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment