(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Monday, April 8, 2013

On Bullying against Free Thought

Intellectual discussions don't seem to be as popular now as when I was at university. I used to have the most fascinating discussions about space, space-time, bending space, black holes. I used to read the cutting edge articles and still watching docos and reading books on them. Forget the complex maths (my worst subject) but the theories and concepts are mind-bending and such fun to debate.

Philosophical  or theological discussions seem to be harder to have these days, as well. I have many friends with differing beliefs. It is fantastic! We often have to agree to disagree but have some really eye-opening, thought provoking discussions and debates along the way. But go further afield, and there seems many people who are not even wanting to entertain the thought of any alternative idea or knock down anyone who don't agree wholeheartedly with their point of view. 

I was brought up to believe that everyone has a right to their own point of view and that it is a good thing (an encouraged thing) to listen to their points of view. Even if  I didn't agree, I can find something interesting to discuss or end up on a totally unrelated (and usuallly very interesting) tangent. This creates a creative and  productive atmosphere, with intelligent, thoughtful debates on differing subjects, and a greater understanding of others, life the universe and everything.

I was encouraged to question things I believe, to explore my thoughts and others thoughts - and decide what I think - for myself. Most of all, I was encouraged to respect that others may not think the same way as me. That is what creates the variety and spice of life. However, more and more often, I now hear of bullying, monstering, flaming and downright oppression of ideas and concepts, particularly on the internet.  I am very saddened by this. People are missing out on so much when they only listen to one voice, only share one voice and ignore, or try to control, the many voices that create the choir of the world!

And now, this growing unaccepting culture is also trying to impact on writing and art. Art and writing is very personal. I do it to express my imagination and the many ideas that bombards me. It could take a decade , or more, before I get any measure of success that is credited by most of society. I have been told that I should write something more popular - popular fiction as opposed to speculative - that I should draw things that are more popular: they will sell better. Hmmm....

I do this gig because I simply cannot not write. I have to - even if it is not the most popular thing at the moment. I draw what I draw because I have to draw it. I make no excuse for that. I can do things for commission but what I love to draw will not change. It is me. 

Sadly, it seems that these days, some people want to be sheep and if you don't agree with the loudest alpha sheep, then the group tries to butt you out. Well, this chick ain't be shoved that easy. I will continue to listen to the world's choir and make up my own mind. I'd rather be a stubborn goat than a cloned sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment