(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Monday, April 15, 2013

Pride and Restrictions

Yesterday, I had a Jane Austin fest - the full BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice. I have a soft spot for the clothing, especially those long, fluid coats worn by Mr D'Arcy! Sometimes, I long for a simpler time with  more manners and ettiquette, the romance of it all (I am a big softie really) and then I slowly remember the reality, of that era, and how lucky I am to be living in the twenty-first century.

I am the daughter of dairy farmer and lay-preacher's daughter. I would not have been a great catch if I had lived in the early 19th century; I would have not had the opportunity for a University education, due to my perceived social standing and the fact that I am a woman.   Modern medicine has allowed me to survive the birth of my daughter. My life is definately enhanced by being born in the twentieth century. 

Mr Bingley compliments, "All young ladies are accomplised. They sing, they draw, they dance, speak French and German, cover screens and I know not what". With such a list of accomplishments, I am feeling a little inadequate!  On the surface of it, had I been born in Jane Austin's time and been one of the privileged classes, I would have had the time to learn, practice and hone my skills at so many artistic things that I would love to at least try some day.  I could have gone beyond basic French, kept up my school German, be able to practice my drawing and photography more than part-time. I could spend more time embroidering and catch up on my reading. I could even try dancing. 

But at what cost?  Dig deeper, and we can see the restrictions woman had then. Today, I am blessed to live in time where I have so much more freedom. I can improve my 'lot in life' by education and work - both not available to most woman in Jane Austin's time. I have modern luxuries such as washing machines and vacuum cleaners to make my life easier. But I cannot have my cake and eat it too, as they say. I need to work, at least part-time, to afford the luxuries most of us have come to expect in the 21st century.

It is interesting how, in just a few centuries, things can change. In early 19th century, we read of women who felt trapped as that is all they could do. Today, I get told I am indulging myself too much, if I concentrate on my artwork.

I can only hope to follow such an extensive list of creative pursuits in my spare time and there are just not enough hours in the day. But, I do have the option to work, study and follow my artistic pursuits. Like everything, I need to work hard to afford to do the things I enjoy. I have started the slow climb, so that my creative pursuits may, one day, produce a decent income. Until then, won't give up my day job!




No comments:

Post a Comment