(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, April 26, 2013

Protectoring by Appointment.

Usually, I try not to make very fannish designs, not because I don't want to (I have so many fannish ideas) but as it flirts close to copyright. I am a strong believer of the rights of the artist/ writer, as I have mentioned one or twice before.   Just occasionally, I just can't help myself. If I can wangle a homage that uses a few key images that provides enough of a hint to fans of the genre but without infringing on the originator's copyright, then I am quite happy to go for it. 

I have been doodling on another t-shirt design, after starting to read Soulless, the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series.  What could be simpler than a parasol? (not if I am drawing lots of frilly frou frou on it!)

First, the pencil sketched layout: I decided to hand-draw the writing, much quicker (for me) than trying to manipulate it in a programme. The wording? I did not want to use Parasol Protectorate, as that was Gail Carriger's own phrase, so I went with Protectoring by Appointment as that is what I would want to do! Waiting for ink to dry is like, well, like waiting for paint to day. A few cups of tea later and I inked up the parasol. 


The colours were determined by a description in the book - a black parasol with purple pansies. That was what started me off on this one - my favourite colour was purple - I just had to do it!

I am thinking of sending this design into Tee Fury, to see if they will take it on. Tee Fury seems to sell a lot of fannish T's.  With that in mind, I kept the colour pallette limited to only 5 colours which is much harder than you think! Shading must be kept to a minimum (argh). Otherwise it will be on Redbubble later...

Thanks to the computer, I tried a few different colour combinations and here are the final options. 

Any preferences? (I am leaning towards #1) If I am lucky enough to make it through their screening and you see it on Tee Fury, please make sure to vote for it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment