(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rattle, Shake and Roll

Today I am rattled. I am dealing with stress again. I am about to return to part-time work, in my other professional guise, after months off. All of my relaxation techniques are being utilized today as I have a meeting with the Powers that Be. I tried to start writing my post last night but could not concentrate; I tried to do some sketching but my hand is shaking so the curves look shite.  

I spent yesterday doing some fact research for a speculative fiction story. I have to see if I can pull out some specific historical happenings to fit in with an alternative history I have planned for a major historical figure. This follows on from some ideas that I jotted down, a few weeks back; a good thing coming out of a bad night's sleep. I was originally going to set the story in his timeline but am thinking I may move him forward and see what happens and how it would effect him (and history) when he returns. I am on a roll! I now have 9 pages of notes, just on the original historical path, and more on some plot ideas that I would dearly love to be able to fit into the puzzle.

I am planning on some endorphine-producing hard work digging in the garden after my meeting, this morning. To my surprise, over summer, about six french lavender seedlings have self-seeded themselves in the garden. I made the mistake of digging three of them out, too early in summer. They died. But then, we did have a record hot, dry summer this year. I have been biding my time, to transplant the other three. They should be tough enough; they have survived summer with minimal care. Currently, the upcoming weather report is looking reasonably mild with possible maximums to only the high twenties (Celcius). It is looking a lot safer to dig them out. So, today I will be shovelling shit (and compost) into their new homes, in preparation for their move. Quite an appropriate metaphor, really.

I have previously mentioned that my garden relaxes me. The lavender seedlings are a reminder that, no matter how bad things are, some things can survive. My grandmother used to say 'What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."  The woman was a font of knowledge! I too, can survive this chapter in my life and go on to rewrite the story.

And now for some gratuitous pics I have taken, of my husband who stands by me in my creative moods:






No comments:

Post a Comment