(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Reflections on the inhumanity of humanity

I was going to write something else today .. but I just can't think of anything else other than complete and utter disbelief and disgust that someone would set of one bomb, let along two bombs... AND at a marathon - a sporting event where people, from all nations, get together in a spirit of community!!!  

This will be a short post, as I am having problems forming actual words to explain how I feel! How can someone hate so much, that they conspire to maim or kill others, especially people they do not even know! This is the oldest running marathon, in the world - bringing the world together. There were 27 000 runners plus friends, relatives and supporters. Now we hear that there was a second incendiary device (maybe not related to the marathon explosions)...

It is times, like these, that I wonder if the world will survive itself. There are so many who do not think of others and strive for personal gain, whether monetary, political or terrorism. Then...

I see those people who ran towards the blast. They put themselves in harms way to help a stranger, to comfort, protect and aide them...  I am reminded of the Australians who took holiday leave and flew to Queensland to help clean up stranger's homes, after the huge floods. I am reminded of the many volunteers that feed the homeless every day...

...and I am reminded that the percentage of terrorists and pyschopaths are small, in comparison to the vast majority of decent, caring people.  People and life is more important than buying the biggest and the newest, shiniest iphone; they are more important than insisting that the economy has to keep growing at a certain rate. They are more important than being the first to see the latest television show.  

We have to guard against slipping into non-caring ways. Why? Because we all live on the same planet. We breathe the same air. We are the same, no matter the race, creed or religion. I pray that we remember this before it is too late.   

Be excellent to each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment