(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Exhaustion & Creation.

Yesterday was a rough day, not creatively or artisticly but physically and mentally. I spent most of the afternoon fighting to stay awake. In the end my eyelids betrayed me. Nanna naps have never looked so good! I have been fighting some stressful situations, over the past few months. Finally I am climbing out of the hole but it has (and is) extremely mentally exhausting and this eventually translates into physical symptoms. 

So no gardening today; Luckily this is not my only the creative outlet. 

Not long ago I started designing some original 'scrolls'. They were put on hold, as some of the information has not been finalised. I have received notice that all the information, required to fill the text, is now confirmed. Brandished with my pencil sketches, I needed to transfer them to parchmentine (paper treated to look vellum-like). I don't own a light table, at this stage. I have no room for it. My friend who owns one, is away on holidays, so that option was not available either. The solution was my old friend, the back window! 


Any light shining, from behind the original, makes it much easier to see so that it can be traced onto the parchmentine. This way, I don't have to deal with any damage on the parchmentine surface, from using an eraser when sketching the original.  A similar method can be documented, in the Renaissance, for tracing embroidery patterns onto linen. Using a candle (or available light source), under an embroidery frame. 


There is one downside however, and I am experiencing it right now. I have to hold my arms up at an unnatural angle for hours. I had two scrolls to trace across today. Now the tendons around my elbows are really complaining. Thank goodness for calandula cream! 

So for now, having typed this blog post, I am giving them a break and catching up on some reading and favourite television show.... and dinner is salmon, salad and chips!

Bye for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment