(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, May 17, 2013

Short Story Sagas...

I have just finished a short story for a competition, that was to be under one thousand words. Nine hundred and ninety two words completed. Mission accomplished. This was an effort. I had so much potential back story that I would have loved to have included but alas, necessary editing (both my friend and my foe) would not allow it. How I would have loved to have explained the aunt's background and some of the deeds done. Sigh.

This one was  a straight Crime story and will soon be sent off to Bloomsbury for their consideration. I went through two different ideas before I hit on this one. Being a crime story, I did not want to mix in too much of speculative genre and besides, it is good to practice alternative styles on occasion. How I wanted to put in psychic abilities or a ghost or...

With three edits and a final polish behind me, it has now been sent off to someone who is willing (and able) to give me a constructive criticism. I am now awaiting  the myriad of potential spelling mistakes that I have missed and the docking of several commas (I am sure - I use a lot of commas!)

I have also returned to my gaslamp short story which has been edited and polished and had its first proof reading. Some tidying up is now required and then it may be ready to send of to an e-magazine for its consideration as well. Busy, busy...


No comments:

Post a Comment