(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Some Words...

This morning I slept in. Our dear old geriatric cat decided that something as amiss at 2.45am this morning and started growling and hissing. Obviously she could see something we could not (or had a bad dream.) She would not let us touch her... we spent a couple of hours trying to both calm and avoid her. This morning she is marginally better. She will let us touch her now but is still wary.

So, it looks like this will make today's blog and not be an addendum to yesterday's. 

I spent most of yesterday trying to write the remaining 1700 words for the first draft of my current short story. There were two occasions where I had a mini-writers' block. Both were at scene changes. I knew the part of the plot that I wanted in the scene. I knew what I clues were revealed and most of the dialogue. I just could not start that first introductory paragraph for each scene. No burgeoning virtual orchestra accompaniment to my scene opening. 

After a few little breaks, some garden weeding and several cups of tea, a version came to me. Though not perfect and will be in for a couple of edits, I am satisfied that I have something now to build on. As usual, the characters decide to twist the plot slightly. In this case, I was happy as it meant that a whole scene of 'searching' for the culprit was unecessary. A unhappy circumstance allowed the story to skip ahead and save me about 700 words. 

I now have the first draft completed: 2937 words so far, four deceased, one heroine injured, police baffled, bad guy caught but not before inflicting unwanted damage... A successful day but more work is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment