(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Writing.

When I am sad, I write. When I am happy, I write. When I am not well, at least I can still write (most of the time).  I have been inspired to write over the past few days. I had originally planned to write a (under 3000 word) short story for a specific competition but, as usual, my brain had other ideas.


A germ of an idea was sparked by a simple comment on a television current affairs show. I could not control it. Within the hour of the Australian Writers’ Maketplace Online Writing Race, I had a story outline and one of the characters outlined.  (It gets me motivated!) I wrote almost 3500 words in two days (though we have had appointments, a birthday party and now I am unwell today).  The first draft is done for The Soul Cafe. Let’s just say: Don’t drink the coffee. Tea is safer.


The problem? Well, it is not an end-of-the-world-as-I-know-it problem but it is an inconvenient one. This story is too long for the competition (due on 26th July) so I will have to write another one in a short time, if I am to have an entry for that one. It is, however perfect for another competition due at the end of the month which has a twighlighty-zone theme… and with my current flu and migraine addled brain, this short story should fit the bill.


will wait until I feel better, and my logical brain has returned, to edit it. I think that is a safe idea. I just hope it is not too awful when I do review it.  I do however have to try to corral my thought together in a vain attempt to see if I can create another short story idea (then write and edit it) in the next four days, so it will be ready in time to post it.  This could be a good exercise in writing to a deadline.


I will let you know how I fare.



Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment