(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Steampunk Aesthetics

I love steampunk.
To my regular readers, this is probably an very obvious statement.

I love to read about fantastical adventures that could have been, if it were not for a quirk in history that took us in a different direction into the world of electronics. There is sufficient leeway in the definition of steampunk that I can read about full-on mechanical steam creations, the bare-bones of differing technology or the paranormal fantasies of the 19th century.  One of my favourite steampunk books is the Soulless series by Gail Carriger.

I love writing steampunk. My work varies from the almost paranormal mystery to gadgets galore. My current novella, Doctor Jack has a darker mystery-conspiracy theme. I can let my imagination run wild but still have a set world to play in – one that is familiar enough with most readers to allow me the luxury of concentrating more on the story and characters and less on full-on world building. I can tinker with history.
airship badge
I love the clothing – a modern tweak on Victorian-gothic classics.  It allows me to imagine all the possibilities that the world can create. I can have fun with just a touch here and there, or a sport a full outfit when circumstance allows. There are no rules in steampunk (and anyone who wants to restrict the genre is just sucking the fun out of it.) Slowly I am incorporating more of this style into my every day wear. I have blogged about this on Life, the Universe and Cardigans. It will take a while. (More on making corsets at: Costumes, Conventions and Steampunky hijinks)

DSC_2389I love the aesthetic. I have always had a fascination with old buildings, the displayed knicknacks (perfect for our collectibles – they are not toys!), and old furniture – especially dark wooden furniture.  This week I outlined the final scenes for Jack and decided to take a break. I grabbed my camera and had fun around the house. These are some of the things we have collected, to add to the steampunky atmosphere. 

 DSC_2380_1 DSC_2366

DSC_2391 DSC_2414 DSC_2434 DSC_2423 DSC_2429

Gosh, there are a lot of clocks. I scour the opshops for them, mostly for the glass domes. Being allergic to dust, it provides the perfect way of storing a lot of my collectibles under glass to ease the task of dusting. I have great plans…


Steampunk Aesthetics

No comments:

Post a Comment