(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Mischief Managed

July is over.

I packed up my things, rolled up my rucksack, snuffed out the kerosene lamp and pulled down the tent. I jumped on the bus, then waved goodbye to my camp buddy. Camp NaNoWriMo has finished. Life can (try to) return to normal.

I have put a load of washing on, verified my word count and collected some of my winner goodies. My goal was 15,000 words. I sailed past it, with a day to spare.  My camp buddy made her goal on the final day. I am so proud of her. She has had a busy month yet she still found the energy to complete her goal.

july 2014 15000 words b

Why do I do it?

It is one of the many tools I use as a procrastination-breaker. I provides a deadline. I have a word count target. (In the case of Camp, it is a self imposed one – much less stressful than the full NaNoWriMo in November.) I have a goal to chase – and I intend to finish it.

When I started my writing journey, my dream was to be a published (and paid) writer. I made a list of things I had to accomplish to reach this goal. One was to practice a regular writing routine. This blog was borne from that. Another was to learn to write to a deadline. NaNoWriMo has proven to be a useful tool in achieving that goal.

In April I made my goal of 10,000 words. For July, I decided to push myself towards 15,000 words. I made it! I won! I have never written that many words in one month. That makes this a personal win for me, not just a Camp NaNoWriMo win.

Over the past year, I have written – and entered into competitions – twenty-one short stories (great for deadlines). I have finished the first draft of my first novella Doctor Jack and have completed 40% of my manuscript for the full length novel, The Department of Curiosities. I am happy with my achievemnent so far. But I have a lot more work to do.

Now I have to work out how I will achieve the preset word goal (or at least try!) for the November round of NaNoWriMo. The rules change. The ‘winning’ goal is 50,000 words. This must be a new project. I can not start writing it until the first day. I can not add to an existing work-in-progress.

I already have several ideas whizzing around in my brain. I just hope I can catch one – and reel it all in on time.

The Department of Curiosities - Manuscript Word Progress: (43% first draft)
Total Words:  
Revised Words: At 1st draft only:


Mischief Managed

No comments:

Post a Comment