(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Of Thankfulness, Sharing and Christmas Spirit

No matter how stressed my life is, I am thankful. I live in a country where I have personal and religious freedom, relative safety and major political stresses. (I shall refrain from a rant on the short-sightedness of the current government.) I have a roof over my head, a loving family and food to eat.
We do live in the lucky country.

Christmas is less than two months away. Celebratory-specific items are already filling the shelves. Santa is readying for his annual parade through Adelaide streets to take up residence in his cave. (No rants on the materialistic nature of the season either.)

Today I am grateful. Today I think of all those who are less fortunate than me, of the millions of children who have very little. Today I braved the claustrophobic hell of the local shopping centre. With my family for support, I gritted my teeth and endured the crowds. Our goal: to buy items to fill this year’s Christmas Shoebox for Operation Christmas Child.

This is the sixth year we have participated in this project. It is simple. Fill a shoebox with items – Six things to light up the world of a child in need: something to love, something for school, something to wear, something to play with, something for personal hygiene and something special. Add $9 to cover transport costs (we pay ours online) and drop it into a collection point (one of our friend organises one). The boxes get delivered to children in countries throughout Asia and Africa and other places where children are less fortunate.

shoebox 2014 contents   shoebox 2014
It was well worth the discomfort of the crowds to share a little joy with a child.
You can donate  to Operation Christmas Child, via their website.

Of Thankfulness, Sharing and Christmas Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment