(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, April 3, 2016

It's Camp NaNoWriMo Time!

original post:  http://karenjcarlisle.com/2016/04/03/its-camp-nanowrimo-time/


Regular readers will know I use NaNoWriMo as one of my procrastination busters. It provides a clear goal - with a set word count time and a time limit.  Most importantly it is a public pledge/announcement of my intentions. It's the public bit that spurs me on. It's like a promise: If I don't at least attempt to make my goal you will know. If I fail, I've broken that promise.
Traditionally NaNoWriMo is held over November - thirty days to aim for 50,000 words. It is a big undertaking. One I have not made yet (though I have managed to reach my personal best of over 27,000 words).
Camp NaNoWriMo is a more relaxed affair. You choose your own word limit, even revision of previously written work. My best was 33,792 in April last year. This gave me the boost to complete Doctor Jack & Other Tales. This year is my final push to complete Eye of the Beholder & Other Tales. This year my cabin partner is one of my writing group friends, Gemma.
CNaNo1604 day2
What it means for you:
As a writer: If you are a writer and haven't tried NaNo, then give it a go. It could be the boost, the procrastination buster, the push you need. You may meet some kindred spirits. (You can join a 'cabin' - a group of writers who support and spur each other on.) Camp NaNo is a good place to start. You choose your commitment level. You can start low or aim for the skies. Just roll with it. Have fun.
But it's not for everyone. You either work well to deadlines or you don't. I hate to fail (which is a failing in itself), so Camp NaNo monopolises on that strength (or it is weakness). I pick a stretch goal (20,000 this time, as it's already been a tough year emotionally and this should finish off my set project and start me on my next one). It is up to me to suck it up and do the work.
As a reader: What I hear most from my readers is 'when is the next Viola book coming out?' Camp NaNoWriMo is my final push. I finish that book. It gets published. You get to read it. Kicking me in the butt gets you more adventures with your favourite characters and you get to meet new characters. Simple really.
Here is your chance to see how Viola is faring. I’ll post occasional updates here but if you want to follow my daily progress first hand, you can find me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment