(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, December 23, 2016

The Pre-Christmas frenzy

original post: http://karenjcarlisle.com/2016/12/23/the-pre-christmas-frenzy/

This week I've swapped Photo Friday for a blog post. Photo Friday will happen on Sunday. Make sense?
Last weekend was the last book event for this year - a popup store for local indie authors at Greenlight Comics in Adelaide. Joining me were Alex James and Darren Koziol. Thanks to everyone who popped in to say hi!
dsc_3377
  img_5502 img_5508dsc_3389 img_5513
I don't know about you but I'm annoyed the shops started their Christmas push even earlier this year. Come September, and there was tinsel and Christmas bells starting to weedle it's way into the stores. Don't get me wrong; I love Christmas. I find it restores my faith in human nature (if I ignore the short-tempered shoppers stealing carparks). I get to watch schmaltzy movies, and be less embarrassed and I get to have crayfish as a special treat (it's getting very expensive these days). Sorry, I digress.
The shops. Yes, well...
I almost missed Christmas this year due to their over zealousness. Hanging decorations in hope of guilt-tripping people into spending more money definitely puts them on my naughty list. I've avoided the larger shopping centres for months now. I chose to ignore the glittery edges and the jingle-bell music. And almost missed it all together.
So this week I've tracked down my treasured Lions Christmas cakes, hung the door wreath, restocked the Christmas pantry and finalised present shopping. We finally erected the tree on Tuesday (though our outside Christmas lights are seriously lacking this year) and wrapped the presents. Oh, and ordered the crayfish to be picked up on Saturday. I'm afraid our presents and Chrissy cards will be late this year. Apologies to all.
 dsc_3218 dsc_3237 james-murray-gift tree
This arrived on Wednesday - a present from my friend Susan (the one that kicked me in the butt to write my first book). Thank you, Susan!
pressie-from-sue
Dear Reader,
However you celebrate this weekend, please stay safe. I hope you find what you seek.
Merry Christmas.
Karen J.
And here's a Christmas bonus video from our recent Time Travellers' Picnic:


No comments:

Post a Comment