(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, February 24, 2017

Photo Friday: Life and Death(?), and a Flash Fiction Bonus

original post: http://karenjcarlisle.com/2017/02/24/photo-friday-life-and-death-and-a-flash-fiction-bonus/

Rumours of my impending doom have been wildly exaggerated. This week I got the results from my twenty-four hour cardiac monitoring I've tried new strategies to curb the heart palpitations and flutterings. Nothing devastating but I do need to have further investigations. (If only I could control anxiety.) I'm working on new strategies - and I've managed five nights in a row without an episode.
  
Writing (and not discussing my previous career) has helped distract me from counterproductive thoughts. I've almost finished rewrites for the first (longer) short,  From the Depths, in Viola's third journal of adventures and am reworking the second story, Tomorrow, When I Die.
We've had record summer rains and everything is so green and full of life (usually everything is dry and brown this time of year).  We've had a few chill nights (huzzah!); I've even finished another octoscarf to sell at the Salisbury Secret Garden markets tomorrow afternoon.
 

And now for a bonus flash fiction.

The girls at the pbafm Words Out Loud radio show have a tradition. They randomly choose five words from a book of their guest for the day. The challenge is to write something, using all five words, in just ten minutes. Contributions get read out on air in the following session. On my visit on the show, the words were from John Malone's latest book of poetry, Seeing Things.
The words were: red, yield, snail, piranha and Gazebo. They challenged me on the day; this was my contribution.

Enjoying the View

©2017 Karen J Carlisle
Humphrey was a fashionable snail. At least he thought he was. He'd recently taken up residence by the river. He lounged under his brand new red gazebo and surveyed the spectacular view. A wooden sign by the water shaded the yard from the midday sun. A fine crop of broccoli provided an abundant yield for his supper. Ripples glistened on the water. Perfect.
He just couldn't understand why his friends hadn't joined him.
Water splashed. He crawled out of the shade and edged toward the water.
So cool. So inviting.
Why had his friends been so concerned? Humphrey, don't go near the water, they cried.
Humphrey leaned closer and touched the water. It shuddered.
A large eye blinked under the surface.
The piranha licked his lips, flicked his tail and swam away from the bank.
THE END
 
Why don't you have a go at the five word challenge? You have ten minutes to write something containing all the words: red, yield, snail, piranha and Gazebo. Post your stories or poems in the comments below. I'd love to see what you come up with.
 
Photos ©2017 Karen J Carlisle

No comments:

Post a Comment